Making mistakes in articles published by myself can be embarrassing, especially when writing for English professionals. My writing is a process of multiple revisions. I would write a paragraph, take out the spelling mistakes, fix the grammar, and then try to improve readability. Spelling is my biggest hurdle. All of these multiple revisions are quite a chore. Without proper tools, reviewing an article would take hours. Fortunately, I came across Grammarly. What used to take hours now takes minutes. Grammarly instantly reviews my items as I am typing them; it reviews for spelling, grammar, and sentence structure. Grammarly offers suggestions in a popup window.
Grammarly is most useful to people for whom English is not their first language. The rules of Grammar are quite different for other languages. English has many grammatic subtleties that are difficult for speakers of other languages to understand. When I need to quote someone else’s work in researching an article, Grammarly helps me with its plagiarism check. Grammarly checks your emails, documents, essays, and more: It fixes punctuation errors, improves word choice, writes better sentences, provides instant Plagiarism Report; eliminates grammar errors; works Where You Do.
What is Grammarly?
- Grammarly is an extension for Chrome, Safari Firefox, and Edge browser. It will help with your writing on nearly every site on the internet. It has an algorithm that flags issues as you write, then suggests a correction for grammar, spelling, wordiness, style, punctuation and if you chose, plagiarism. This tool can also provide a reason for the correction, so you can make the best decision about how to correct any errors.
- Grammarly also works on Android and IOS devices.
Why do I choose Grammarly?
I was skeptical about Grammarly‘s claim of the most accurate grammar checker. Installing this software was surprisingly easy. Once installed, this software went to work immediately reviewing my writing. I was shocked at how bad my writing was, Grammarly pointed out all of the errors, including spelling, punctuation, and grammar. A few weeks after using the tool, my writing style improved. I found that I was making fewer errors.
What does Grammarly do?
Grammarly checks for:
- Grammar and punctuation – Grammarly offers real-time suggestions
- Spell Check – A robust spell-check tool
- Plagiarism – Grammarly detects plagiarism by checking pages on the internet.
- Writing Style – Grammarly provides real-time information about readability, sentence-length, etc.
How much does Grammarly cost?
The basic version of Grammarly is free; however, for the advanced features like a plagiarism check, you will need the Premium version.
How much does Grammarly Premium cost?
This software is billed either every month, quarterly or yearly basis.
- The cost for a yearly subscription billed annually is $11.66 per month billed as an annual payment of $139.95
- The price for a quarterly subscription is $19.95 per month billed at $59.95 per quarter
- The cost for a month is $29.95
If you would like your work reviewed by a human, the price is $0.02 per word.
The overall rating for Grammarly
Overall rating Total: 5/5
How does Grammarly compare with built-in tools in WordPress and Microsoft Word
I have used the WordPress editor to write articles in WordPress. The WordPress editor helps fix some grammar issues, but its capability is minimal.
The grammar checker built into Microsoft Word is a good starting point. However, the grammar checking in Word is not as comprehensive as Grammarly. The Microsoft Word grammar checker missed mistakes, for example, missing words, that Grammarly picked up.
Grammarly fixes spelling, grammar, and readability, and a premium subscription Grammarly will check for plagiarism. This is a ‘must-have’ tool for professional writers. Making mistakes in professional writing can be costly.
I chose this software for its accuracy, and because it works almost everywhere on the internet. It is easy to install and use. The Grammarly algorithm is fast and accurate.