Learning Teaching is part of the Teacher Development Series by Jayne moon.
Learning Teaching teaches language teachers how to prepare and has been one of the most often used and successful textbooks for training teachers. This book was first published in 1994 and is now in its sixth edition.
Scrivener’s approach in writing this book has been to observe teachers and learners and then to note the more effective strategies. It is essential to have as many plans as possible. In this way, you can generate your guidelines for what does and doesn’t work.
The Teacher Development Series
Learning Teaching is part of the Teacher Development Series by Jayne moon. The series is for teachers, trainers, and academic managers and includes:
- Children Learning English by Jayne Moon
- The ELT Manager’s Handbook by Graham Impey
- Inside Teaching by Tim Bowen
- The Language Teacher’s Voice by Alan Maley
- Learning Teaching by Jim Scrivener
- Reading in Teacher Development by Katie Head
- Uncovering Grammar by Scott Thornbury
- Sound Foundations by Adrian Underhill
Scrivener covers the practical information needed to begin the journey as a (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) TEFL teacher and does so clearly and engagingly. The book also has many examples and samples of activities that can be used in the ESL classroom.
“Learning Teaching” has been one of the most successful guides to English since it was first published in 1994. Its no-nonsense approach has made it a superb teaching textbook for initial training courses, and also an essential handbook for practicing ELT teachers. Part first training textbook, part handbook for practicing teachers it is the definitive guide to what happens in the language classroom.
Jim Scrivener’s approach is not just theoretical – the book is packed with practical and useable activities. The third edition has been extensively revised and restructured to take recent developments in ELT into account. A DVD accompanies the book.
- DVD featuring a full one hour lesson being taught as well as demonstrations of practical teaching techniques
- Allows teachers to watch ideas from the book
- Insights into many small but crucial aspects of teaching technique as well
- Insights into the more significant questions about how lessons can be structured and managed and what can be expected from learners and their progression through each lesson
- Short clips in which different teachers, including the author, demonstrate essential techniques described in the text
- The DVD includes an extensive range of printable worksheets, observation tasks, templates, and resources