The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-to-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes 11th Edition
Why would you buy Jane Straus’s book on grammar over other books reviewed?
- Of the books that I have reviewed, this is by far the most affordable book on grammar.
- It is light and easier to carry around. This is an advantage for students.
- It is an easy reference guide
The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation is a concise entertaining workbook and guide to English grammar, punctuation, and usage. This user-friendly resource includes:
- Punctuation and usage
- Scores of helpful examples
- dozens of reproducible worksheets
- and pre- and post-tests to help teach grammar to students of all ages.
Appropriate for virtually any age range, this authoritative guide makes learning English grammar and usage simple and fun. This updated Eleventh Edition reflects the latest updates to English usage and grammar and features a fully revised two-color design and lay-flat binding for easy photocopying.
- This book is clear and concise, easy-to-follow, offering “just the facts.”
- Fully updated to reflect the latest rules in grammar and usage along with new quizzes
- Ideal for students from seventh grade through adulthood in the US and abroad
For anyone who wants to understand the major rules and subtle guidelines of English grammar and usage, The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation offers comprehensive, straightforward instruction.
Example quiz from the Blue Book
Who, Whom, Whoever, Whomever Quiz 2
Choose the correct word for each sentence. The answers are on page 123.
1. We intend to notify ______ ranks highest on the list.
2. These are the sign language interpreters ______ I feel you should acknowledge.
3. ______ can we trust in a crisis?
4. Ms. Cohen, ______ has a way with words, will be the valedictorian.
5. The person ______ produces the most work will receive a bonus.
6. ______ are you dancing with next?
7. ______would you say is the best person for this position?
8. The therapist will talk with ______ needs her help.
9. We are not sure ______ set off the alarm.
10. Don’t talk with anyone ______ you think might be connected with the competition.
11. ______ had my job before me?
- About the Author
- Foreword by Mignon Fogarty
- Finding Subjects and Verbs
- Subject and Verb agreement
- Who vs. Whom
- Whoever vs. Whomever
- That vs. Which
- Adjectives and Adverbs
- Problems with Prepositions
- Effective Writing
- Confusing Words and Homonyms
- Advice vs. advice
- Affect vs. effect
- Lay vs. lie
- Their vs. there vs They’re
- Hundreds more confusing words and homonyms
- Spacing with Punctuation
- Ellipse Marks
- Question Marks
- Beginning a sentence or quoted sentence
- Proper nouns
- Government officials
- Points of the compass
- Titles of publications
- With state, federal, and other government bodies
- With seasons
- With salutations
- With words derived from proper nouns such as English
- Writing Numbers
- Using figures vs. spelling out
- Mixed quantities within the same sentence
- Large numbers
- Compound numbers
- Grammar Pretest
- Grammar Mastery Test
- Punctuation, Capitalization, and Writing Numbers Pretest
- Punctuation, Capitalization, and Writing Numbers Mastery Test
- Answers to Quizzes
- Paperback, 153 pages
- Published January 2008 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1997)
- Original TitleThe Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-to-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes
- ISBN0470222689 (ISBN13: 9780470222683)
The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation is a handy reference guide. It a book that you would want to have in your back pocket when visiting an English speaking country, or to cram for an English exam. The quizzes help get up to speed quickly with English grammar.