A comprehensive grammar book is invaluable to learning for English second language students. It is not enough to learn vocabulary and phrases; it is crucial to be able to put words into the correct order for sentences. The topics covered in this book will help with understanding word order and grammar. As well as a self-study guide, this book can also be used in a classroom situation.
A classic developmental skills text for intermediate to advanced students of English, Understanding and Using English Grammar is a comprehensive reference grammar as well as a stimulating and teachable classroom text. While keeping the same basic approach and material as in earlier editions, the Third Edition more fully develops communicative and interactive language-learning activities.
There are plenty of varied exercise material
- Overview of verb tenses
- Present and past, simple and progressive
- Perfect and perfect progressive tenses
- Future time
- Adverb clauses of time and review of verb tenses
- Subject-verb agreement
- Modals, part 1
- Modals, part 2
- Adjective clauses
- Noun clauses
- Adjective clauses
- Gerunds and infinitives, part 1
- Gerunds and infinitives, part 2
- Coordinating conjunctions
- Adverb clauses
- Reduction of adverb clauses to modifying adverbial phrases
- Connectives that express cause and effect, contrast, and condition
- Conditional sentences and wishes
Appendix Supplementary grammar units
- Basic grammar terminology
- Preposition combinations
- Connectives to give examples to continue an idea
- Verb form review exercises
Some of the new features are:
- Numerous real communication opportunities
- More options for interactive work in pairs and groups
- Additional open-ended communicative tasks for both speaking and writing
- Expanded error analysis exercises *Interesting and lively new exercise material
- Shorter units for easy class use.
The program components include:
- the Student Book
- Teacher’s Guide, and Companion Website.
- Also available: Understanding and Using English Grammar Interactive (a multimedia CD-ROM).
- Paperback: 544 pages
- Publisher: Pearson Longman; 4 edition (February 23, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0132333317
- ISBN-13: 978-0132333313
- Product Dimensions: 7.8 x 0.9 x 9.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.7 pounds
Understanding and Using English is a recommended study and reference guide for the serious student or teacher of English. This book is highly recommended for advanced students who already have sufficient vocabulary and want to improve grammar.